Policy, Cafe Salsa Open On 14th Street

Policy opens tonight at 1904 14th St. NW
Photos courtesy Policy

Two long-awaited restaurants on 14th Street have finally thrown open their doors.

Any trace of the building that once housed leaky junk shops at 1904 14th St. NW has been literally demolished, and in its place is an impressive new space home to Policy. The restaurant and lounge officially opens to the public tonight at 5 p.m.

On the first floor is the main dining room, designed to channel a modern diner with red vinyl booths and black pressed tin ceilings. A seasonal American menu — pappardelle with spring peas and morels, crispy pork belly with Virginia honey-ginger glaze — is crafted by chef Brian Murphy, formerly of L'Auberge Chez Francois.

The second floor houses a lounge and bar, where walls are adorned with graffiti by artist Andrew Funk and DJs will spin tunes.

Down the street a few blocks, Cafe Salsa has opened at 1712 14th St. NW. The second location for Alexandria's Cafe Salsa serves nuevo Latino food in a two-story space. Prince of Petworth snapped some interior and food shots.

Keep up-to-date on recent openings and planned restaurants with Metrocurean's Coming Soon and New Openings lists.

Comments

Amanda said…
I love the look of the lounge - very funky. But I bet that like all the other bars on this stretch of 14th (St Ex, Bar Pilar, Red Room), it will get super crowded, super fast, & I'll only end up going on off hours...
Amanda said…
Your comment reminds me that I should revive a post I did three years ago called The Weeknight Joint, where I mulled over your exact concern. I may post an update...
Amanda said…
Just read the post you linked to and we are definitely on the same page. I'd add The Reef in Adams Morgan to your list (well, anything in Adams Morgan - I was on 18th Street late on a Saturday night for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was truly horrified). The only place that is always great, rain or shine, weeknight or weekend, is Axis on U Street. I kind of hate myself for saying that b/c I don't want it to "jump the shark," but honestly: it is a place where you can sit and talk, and drink good beer, anytime.
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed Cafe Salsa this weekend. I thought the food was pretty good, nice lively environment and it was packed. A good sign. Stopped in Policy for a drink. I'm not a fan of the downstairs, the upstairs lounge is pretty cool though. I wonder if that will be open all the time or just for nightclubbing?

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens