Creme and the $9 Hot Dog

Although I initially somewhat wrote off Creme's menu, I checked it out for a quick bite Tuesday night, and I have to say I think I underestimated the place. We started off with tangy margaritas, served up (neighboring Alero could use a few tips).

I'm extremely skeptical of anyone who messes with the beautiful simplicity of a well-made crab cake, but throwing caution to the wind, we ordered the "no bread crumb" crab cake—Creme's version wraps crab salad in a crisped spring roll wrapper. The combination worked nicely, with a mache salad and small dabs of dijon mustard accenting the dish on the side.

I was extremely curious about the "nine dollar hot dog," made from ever-so-trendy Kobe beef. Served on a soft, browned pretzel roll in a diner-style basket, the juicy dog comes with a plate of nearly 10 condiments, including two kinds of mustard, pickled onions, kim chee, tomato marmalade, chopped tomatoes, pickles and peppers. It was fun getting to dress up each bite with a new flavor. A bed of decent fries filled out the bottom of the basket.

We also tried the shrimp and grits, which were delightfully garlicky, the shrimp plump and cooked just right.

I actually feel guilty about writing this place off. The lighting was nice, the music relaxing, and the two owners as nice as can be. I plan to go back and drink my way through more of the cocktail menu and try out the upscale version of pork and beans.

Welcome to the neighborhood Creme.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, kim chee on a hot dog? There's a combination I wouldn't have thought to try. The idea of Kobe beef hot dog with a variety of toppings reminds me of Hot Doug's in Chicago, which offers all kinds of interesting takes on the encased meats class of food, such as the Three-Chili Wild Boar Sausage with Chipotle Dijonnaise and Pont L'Eveque Cheese, which is one of their current specials. Man, I may have to go out and buy some sausage for lunch now.
Anonymous said…
I have been delighted with the food and the ambience of Creme. The place is friendly. The bread dip they give you to start is a tasty bean puree. The menu is simple and bolstered by quality ingredients.
Anonymous said…
Went to Creme for the first time last night. Excellent!

I started off with the locally picked mushrooms. There was quite the variety of wild shrooms sauteed and then topped with a drizzle of truffle oil and shaved manchego. Earthy goodness abounded. My partner had the crab cake. I could do with a little less mayo, but the chunks of crab were big and tasty.

For dinner I had the Kobe beef burger with bleu cheese. I put on a few of the leftover mushrooms and it was very good. The meat was tender and juicy and since they grind the meat fresh, you can order it at a nice medium. My only nit is that they need to learn the term crispy. The fries were a bit limp and the bun needed more toasting.

My partner had the surf & turf. I didn't get to taste it, but he said the steak was extremely tender and he was practically licking the plate.

Definitely a great first experience. I will return again soon.

Chris
Amanda said…
Glad to hear the good experiences. I agree about the fries...I like em crisp. One of the best things about Creme, I think, is the complete lack of attitude. It feels like a true neighborhood joint, and I hope with a little age, it gets even better.

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens