Rasika: First Impressions

As a guest at a media dinner last night at the new Rasika, I got to check out the gorgeous space and sample a broad range of dishes from menu, which offers authentic Indian dishes "with a modern flair." Owner Ashok Bajaj has recruited an impressive team, including chef Vikram Sunderam, who came from Bombay Brasserie in London, and sommelier Sebastian Zutant, who came from Komi.

Our meal started with fabulous palak chaat, a bowl of crispy fried spinach with sweet yogurt and tamarind date chutney. Tender black cod with star anise, dill and honey followed. Next came an array of dishes served family style: green chicken masala, lamb shank roganjosh, sliced okra with dry mango powder, stuffed potatoes with mint and coriander, creamy lentils and cucumber raita. All were fantastic. A fried apple round (apple jalebi) with ice cream and sweet carrot halwa topped off the meal.

Zutant, who has a new challenge in pairing wines with the bold, spicy flavors of Indian cooking, said he tasted more than 500 bottles to prepare his wine list, which showcases about 100 selections from around the world.

The space is sleek and sophisticated, its most striking feature being a glittering curtain of white and red crystals separating the bar and dining room. In the back, a long communal table faces a sushi bar-like counter, where griddle (tawa), barbecue (sigri) and tandoori cooking is showcased.

All in all, I was highly impressed and am looking forward to returning for a clove martini and some sigri and tawa dishes.

Comments

Philofaxer said…
In look and feel, it reminds me of Tamarind, my favorite "upscale" Indian joint in NYC. I look forward to trying Rasika.
Anonymous said…
I just wanted to say that I love the blog, especially the photos with the reviews. Keep up the good work.
Amanda said…
Thanks for the kind words!
Anonymous said…
Looks great.. thanks for the preview!

Got any news on January's restaurant week?
Amanda said…
I don't think they've announced the RW details yet. I'll listen out for news. If I had to guess, I'd think it'd be the week of the 23rd.
Anonymous said…
Link

All I've seen so far.. when you follow their (broken) link, it gives you a nice message: "Serving up Summer Savings - January 2006"
Anonymous said…
Does this mean Sebastian has left Komi? Has Johnny replaced him?
Philofaxer said…
According to a couple posters on DonRockwell.com (see http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showtopic=1719), The Jan 06 RW will be 1/9 to 1/15.
Amanda said…
I didn't think they'd do it so soon after the New Year, but I believe the dr.com sources. So looks like Jan. 9-15...
Sebastian did leave Komi (on good, sad terms, according to his statement on donrockwell.com) but I'm not sure if Komi has found a replacement.
Anonymous said…
OpenTable has their
RW list
up

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens