Fractured Prune Coming to Dupont in August

No that's not a third grader's model of Earth pictured at right. It's the Blueberry Hill doughnut from Fractured Prune, the Ocean City, Md.-based doughnut shop, which Friday's Washington Business Journal reports is expected to open in Dupont at 2153-2155 P St. NW in August.

Metrocurean caught wind of the unappetizingly named shop's plans to enter the D.C. doughnut market from this DCist post, which digs up the story behind the moniker.

The store distinguishes itself from the Krispy competition with its made-to-order, custom doughnuts. Choose your glaze (like honey, banana, chocolate, maple, cherry and mocha), some toppings (rainbow sprinkles, coconut and Oreo cookie, to name a few) and, as if you didn't already have enough sweetness, your sugar, including powdered, granulated and cinnamon.

Check out some of the specialty choices here. Would you think me a bore if I confess I'd go for plain Jane? That blueberry one kind of scares me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, the blueberry (that'd actually be a blueberry with powdered sugar) can be a big scary looking. My family started eating what we stil refer to as Josh's Donuts about 35 years ago when they were still made at a little grocery/variety shop at 45th street on the bayside of coastal highway. We've followed them through mulitple owners, locations, and name changes, and they're still The Best Donuts in the World. Ever. Anywhere. They're deep fried cake donuts, dropped into fresh glazes and optionally topped with other stuff. I grew up on chocolate glaze and then switched to getting a mix of chocolate with crushed peanuts and cherry glazed. I've grown to like the mixed berry glaze, and I love the coffee glaze when the donut is then topped with mini chocolate chips. Dang. I'm gettin' hungry.
Amanda said…
Nice report! Sounds like you're not alone in your love for these doughnuts.
Anonymous said…
These donuts are AMAZING, if you are a native Muralander like I am, you will know what I'm talking about. They have plain donuts too- maybe they started making these weird ones recently.
Anonymous said…
any scoop on whether or not they will be having grand opening festivities??!! i mean, i was just curious, i hear they have great coffee....
Anonymous said…
These are, quite simply, the most amazing donuts in the entire world. They are best when eaten warm, but I wouldn't turn down a leftover one the next day! I'm partial to the standard glaze with rainbow sprinkles, but I have yet to taste any of their creations that I didn't like. Any other donut fails in comparision to these!
Wahoooob said…
These doughnuts are great. I think part of it is that they are all made fresh to order. It's like getting piping hot doughnuts off the conveyor at KrispyKreme, except old-fashion style.
Anonymous said…
Josh's donuts were also a must-do for our family every summer during our yearly vacations in OC! The donuts still taste every bit as good as they did then. And I have to say, you really can't compare these to Krisy Kremes, or any other donut on the market...there is absolutely nothing like the taste of these donuts. It doesn't matter what flavor combo you get...the donut is totally unique and addictive. You will CRAVE these. They are best eaten right after they're made, but our family has gotten a dozen of these and eaten some the first day and the rest for breakfast the next and...oh my. Just too good for words.
Anonymous said…
I meant "Krispy" not "Krisy" of course...that made me laugh when I read it.

And the weird colors (blue, red, orange, yellow, etc.) have been around from the start...ever since it was Josh's...but it doesn't matter. The taste is fabulous. We loved those bright colors as kids anyway!

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens