Recycle ... Your Pickle Juice

A special Metrocurean PSA...

Earth Day is Sunday, and yeah, yeah, we know, "green is the new black." Every magazine sitting on my coffee table is packed with tips like use compact fluorescent bulbs (check), buy a $7,000 eco-friendly mattress (not gonna happen) and wear organic cotton clothing (ok).

Metrocurean's jumping on the bandwagon.

I've already professed my love of Rick's Picks Mean Beans. Now I offer a thrifty recycling tip, inspired by a suggestion on Rick's Web site. Once you've crunched your last pickled bean, save the brine and the jar and toss in a new vegetable. The company suggests carrots. I went with the traditional cucumber (pictured above).

I've always aspired to make my very own pickles, but every time I read instructions, I lose steam at the part about sterilizing, and visions of giving my loved ones botulism scare me off. With this cheat, I had spicy cucumber pickles in a few days. I love a good shortcut.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle your pickle juice.

For more serious suggestions on how to save the Earth, click here.

(Metrocurean photo.)

Comments

Jason said…
Yay! I'm excited because the Whole Foods at Tenleytown near me is now stocking these as well. I chopped up some Means Beans this weekend to put them in my scrambled eggs. Yum!
Hey, how long do you think is appropiate to pickle cucumbers and/or carrots before chowing down?
Amanda said…
I'd say just a few days - maybe three to four for carrots, two to three for cucumbers?
Anonymous said…
I've dispatched my wife to the Alexandria Whole Foods to determine what they offer there. (She works a couple blocks away.) I can't wait to see what she brings home. Wasabeans will make me very happy, methinks.
Amanda said…
I hope you like the Wasabeans. They are, pretty much, what they say they are. I want to try the Smokra next, which I haven't seen at WF.
Anonymous said…
Try boiled eggs. (peeled of course)

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens