Makoto Reigns In New DC Zagat Survey

A few interesting tidbits from the new Zagat survey, released today:

• The "impeccable" Makoto was rated tops for its food, followed by the Inn at Little Washington (last year's No. 1) and Komi.

• Michel Richard's Citronelle claimed honors as the District's most popular eatery, while the chef's Central took No. 5 for popularity.

Ray's the Steak, with an average meal costing $44, snagged the No. 1 steakhouse spot, beating out the longtime favorite Prime Rib, which bills an estimated $66.

• The top-rated DC newcomer is The Source, followed by Westend Bistro by Eric Ripert, Evo Bistro, Proof and Il Fornaio.

• We are plagued by bad service. Survey participants cite "poor service" as the most irritating part of dining out by an overwhelming 75 percent.

• But we tip well anyway, an average 19.2 percent, above the national average of 19 percent.

Check out the full release here.

Comments

David T Fischer said…
Citronelle is the most popular (in the district)? Really??!! It is very expensive and not that large. And I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds, of places that seat more people than Citronelle. What an odd selection as "most popular."
Amanda said…
Maybe popular is synonymous with most well-known in this case? I agree that it seems an odd fit for that category.
Anonymous said…
I actually sat down with Tim and Nina Zagat yesterday for an interview, and the methodology behind "most popular" was definitely one of my questions.

Turns out they ask survey responders to list their top 5 favorite restaurants and then they award points based off of those responses. Each time a restaurant is listed as a #1 favorite by a surveyor it gets 5 points, 4 points for a #2 listing and so on down to 1 point for each #5 listing.

So it's a popularity contest, but I'm still surprised that Citronelle still pulls in that many #1 responses.

If you're interested, I've got a write-up over at www.dcfoodies.com from yesterday and I'm in the process of writing a more interview-focused post for www.capitalspiceblog.com today.

Thanks, guys!
I guess even if you go just once (as opposed to your weekly trip to your favorite place) the food can make such an impression that the place is, indeed, your "favorite." So far it's the best meal I've ever had, but I'm going to Makoto tonight, so who knows ;)
Amanda said…
capitalspice - Nice inteview!

ieatdc - Lucky you. Makoto is such a unique experience. Wear clean socks and let us know how you like it.
Anonymous said…
Who's been to Makoto? I've never been there. Seems I'm not the only one...

http://dclovesfood.blogspot.com/2008/07/makoto.html
Who wears socks in summer? Should a girl not go sockless to Makoto?
Amanda said…
ieatdc: You already went, but I did realize that we ladies are never wearing socks in summer. I think i brought a pair last time (like bowling!).

So how was it? It's tiny isn't it?
I had a very nice time and I definitely recommend Makoto. One thing I can't figure out is why I've read several comments that it's a tranquil space. Pack 28 people in a true matchbox-shaped room and you've got anything but tranquility. Until you drink the tea, I guess. Mmmm tea.

Full review up as of this morning!

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens