COOK } My Favorite Pancake

David Eyre pancake
metrocurean photos


Once upon a Google search, my long-held belief that a "David Ayer" pancake was a family recipe was corrected. It's actually David Eyre, a man who got attached to the classic Dutch baby pancake when he served it to New York Times food writer Craig Claiborne, who published the recipe in 1966 with the title "David Eyre's Pancake."

As a kid, I'd fight for those beautiful buttery edges (above) when my grandmother or parents made a David Eyre pancake for breakfast. I loved its odd look with awkwardly puffed edges and a depressed interior. And its eggy dimples sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and a squeeze of lemon were delicious.

Some 40 years since it was published in the Times, immortalizing David Eyre in pancake form, it's still a regular weekend dish in my kitchen.

David Eyre Pancake
(adapted from Craig Claiborne's original)
serves 2-4*

ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
nutmeg to taste
2 tbsp. butter
lemon juice and cinnamon sugar to taste

preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix eggs with milk. Add sifted flour and nutmeg. Stir together, careful not to overmix.

Put the butter in a 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe pan) and put pan into the heated oven.

When the butter is sizzling hot, pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and nicely puffed. Remove from oven, add a squeeze of lemon juice and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Cut and serve with syrup (my favorite) or jam.

* The recipe is easy to double — just use a 9x13 inch baking dish instead of the smaller pan.

Comments

Olesh said…
It looks like a popover cooked in a skillet, and popovers are awesome. Need to give this a try.
nicole.c.l said…
what type of milk do you use? Whole? skim? This looks delicious and I don't want to mess it up to badly.
Amanda said…
Olesh - It's very similar to popover batter ... I've always wanted to make the BLT Steak popover recipe but I think you need a giant popover pan.

Nicole - Whole milk is best but I've used 2% before and it was fine. I wouldn't use skim.
Unknown said…
The Original Pancake House serves a dutch baby that's quite good (as is their truly evil apple pancake). They serve it sprinkled with powdered sugar and wedges of lemon to spritz it with. Really delicious.
Unknown said…
My dad used to cook this for me throughout my childhood on my birthday, as my "birthday breakfast." He figured it was a special breakfast linked by name, "David," - plus, it is just a *fantastic* dish (and kids love it.)

I am *so* excited that other people know about it as well! Yay!
Amanda said…
Dave - Your comment made me smile! That's a sweet story. So glad to hear from a member of the David Eyre fan club. =)
Anonymous said…
My mom used to make these for us when we were kids in the '70s when the Space program was big. We called them "Crater Pancakes". Can't remember if she served us Tang with them.
Lindsey C said…
This is similar to what we called the Seattle Dutch Baby which didn't have nutmeg but is made the same way. I'll probably make this for breakfast tomorrow!
Olesh said…
Just made one. It was awesome! Had some strawberry rhubarb compote with it. Thanks so much for the recipe and idea.
Amanda said…
Anon- Love "crater" pancakes. That is too cute.

Lins- Did you live in Seattle? Wonder how that city got attached to the name?

Olesh- So glad you tried it! And the addition of strawberry rhubarb compote sounds amazing. I may have to make some now. Hopefully there will be rhubarb at Dupont tomorrow...
yup said…
I finally got around to trying this, what a treat. This time I used powdered regular milk because the only fresh stuff I had was soy - still turned out great. We tried a few jams but the best topping was lemon curd! THANKS for the recipe...
Amanda said…
yup- So glad to hear it! Lemon curd sounds fabulous on it. I must try it next time.

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens