Red Velvet Cupcakery To Join Tangysweet In PQ

Red Velvet Cupcakery will open in Penn Quarter
Photo from neverbashfulwithbutter.com

Aaron Gordon, owner of Dupont frozen yogurt shop Tangysweet, will have two of DC's favorite sweet sensations under one roof when he opens Red Velvet Cupcakery and a second Tangysweet, both at 675 E St. NW, in mid-December.

Gordon and sister Canada (who also happens to be the art department coordinator for HBO's "Entourage") are launching two unique spaces side-by-side, with Tangysweet dishing out frozen yogurt and Red Velvet serving cupcakes. "I think they go together well," Gordon says. "They're sort of the angel and devil of treats."

They turned to longtime DC pastry pro David Guas of Damgoodsweet to help create the cupcake recipes. The shop will start with eight flavors. "We really want to keep it simple and very good," Gordon says. There will, of course, be red velvet (aka the Southern belle), along with flavors like Summertime (lemon cake with coconut frosting), Morning Call Espresso (chocolate espresso cake with mocha butter cream) and Peanut Butter Cup (chocolate chocolate chip cake with salted peanut butter frosting).

Tangysweet's share of the space will be larger than Red Velvet's and will offer seating for both.

Learning from the space's previous occupant, Juan Valdez Cafe, Gordon is passing on coffee service. "I'd be scared to put coffee in because Starbucks might start selling cupcakes," he joked.

But they will serve what he calls the "thickest, richest, most delicious hot chocolate you can find this side of Paris." The Dupont Tangysweet location just started serving the Valrhona chocolat chaud ... and even better, you can sample it for free today.

Comments

rachaelgking said…
Mmmmmm, that hot chocolate sounds SO good right about now...
Anonymous said…
This is great--two of my favorites--tart frozen yogurt and cupcakes--coming to my neighborhood! I can't wait!
Muffin said…
The Velvet cupcakery has stolen that cupcake image from my foodblog. It originally appeared on www.neverbashfulwithbutter.com/food Last year.
Amanda said…
Drea - Wow, that's happened to me a few times, but my photos aren't nearly as good as yours. You should sell them! They're stunning. I've added a credit.
Anonymous said…
do you have an exact opening date yet?
Amanda said…
Supposedly this week!
Anonymous said…
both stores are now open in the PQ. take it from me...I live the next block over.
Anonymous said…
Canada Gordon is an unethical businessman, first of all before he opened Tangysweet his images on the website were those stolen directly off of Pinkberry's site! Second, the original cupcake photos on his website were likewise stolen from another website. Both have been remedied now or rather (altered slightly, but still pretty much a copy of the original), but still why do it twice? Have you not been caught? I have been to Red Velvet and while the cupcakes are not bad, they have more of a muffin consistency than that of a cupcake. I tried three: the red velvet, the peanut butter chocolate chip one, and the chocolate chocolate one... all good, but I think that Georgetown Cupcake remains the DC champ ... and has better business ethics. I also I heard a rumor that before he decided to open Red Velvet he actually went to Georgetown Cupcake to see if they would partner with his Tangysweet, if true... they obviously made the right choice in avoiding an unethical business agreement. Georgetown Cupcake, followed closely by Baked and Wired, remains the producer of the BEST cupcakes in DC.
Wendy Love said…
I just learned of this place today through a co-worker and I took a risk, I bought TWO red-velvet cupcakes (b/c that's my personal fave in cakes) and Oh LORDY! I must admit, that was one of the better risks I've ever taken! Another good cupcakery, for anyone in or around the Tyson's area is CakeLove in Tyson's mall. THOSE were the absolute BEST red velvet cupcakes I've had!

Popular posts from this blog

ENTERTAIN } For The Love Of Salt

STYLE } Bar Styling Tips with Framebridge

Hello Cupcake Opens